Friday, January 7, 2011

What I'm Glad I Know Now That I Didn't Know Before (a break from Biology :))

 http://www.paulgraham.com/hs.html 


Let me start by asking, what are you going to do when you grow up? Are you going to move to Zambia and ride giraffes? Or don a space suit and rocket to the moon? I don't know the answer to that question, and neither do you, most probably. In Paul Graham's speech, he reassures his audience that, yes, you can have absolutely NO CLUE what you want to do when you get to college! Now, I've been told this over and over again by multiple adult people (and they should know, shouldn't they?), but it was reassuring to see it written, or typed, as it was here. This article took a stick and jammed it into my brain and played around in my mind. I found myself immensely relieved that I still have time. And slightly smug, knowing this tiny gem of wisdom. Something Mr. Graham wrote really hit me. "If I were back in high school and someone asked about my plans, I'd say that my first priority was to learn what the options were." He then goes on to say there's no rush to figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life. I agree. If you're going to do something, you should be able to do it right, and enjoy it every time you do it. I will conclude by asking another question. Are you going to worry about what you're going to do when you grow up? Or are you going to relax and find a perfect medium?

No comments:

Post a Comment